CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Well, not as exciting maybe, but just as eventful to us - today was Erik's birthday. I tried to take the kiddos to Erik's favorite restaurant. But since Erik always got bored with things, there's no real restaurant that stood out as THE ONE. So it ended up being a toss up between Wallaby's (brisket, pulled pork & mashed potatoes) or Taco Bell. Taco Bell is definatly a long-running favorite of Erik's, but Wallaby's tastes just a little better. So I let the boys decide. Milo said he didn't want food, Mason said he loves Wallaby's. Easy decision with no fighting - excellent. So we ate lunch there then I took them to pick out a balloon to take to the cemetary. The boys get kinda bored just looking at grass and giant rocks with writing on them, so I figured taking a balloon would add a little excitement to the trip. Mason picked out a Happy Birthday balloon with Lightening McQueen and Mater; Milo's had Elmo on it. And even though Erik was never the guy who liked flowers as gifts, I took him some anyway. Mason, the big kid, tied his and Milo's balloons - then they both proceeded to try to jump over the strings while the balloons blew around. Typical monkeys.

Later in evening I attended a BBQ that some of my old co-workers did as a fundraiser for our family. It was a great turnout and a lot of fun - they had food and live music. It is still amazing to me at all the people involved, that want to help out, that I don't even know. There are just so many nice people in the world, and I feel so fortunate to know so many of them. So thank you to everyone who planned and helped out tonight - and everyone who showed up to hang out!

11 comments:

Your Mom said...

i like that both of our posts reference taco bell today :)

Anonymous said...

Taco Bell..haha. When Robert eats that he has to lay down because it does him so wrong! That's nice that you spent time doing what Erik would've wanted to do. I like the balloon choices the boys made.

Anonymous said...

Well Erik has good taste, taco bell is my favorite too! Glad the bbq was a success!

Anonymous said...

Im so glad that you have the boys, and that they have you. I thought about you all day yesterday. Im happy that the BBQ turned out great too, thats awesome! :)

Anonymous said...

Emily- Thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog, I have been thinking about you sooo much. I would love to hang out when I get back. Everytime I read your blog I just feel like Its almost reading about my life. We celebrated Ryan's birthday 2 weeks after he died too. It's crazy how similar our lives are right now. Lets both just have happy lives from here on out. We can have that in common.

Anonymous said...

Emily, it was so great to have you and your family at the barbeque last night and I'm glad to hear you had fun! We all had a great time as well.

Happy birthday to Erik yesterday, I'm glad you could celebrate it the way you did.

I think your dad may have left his sunglasses, I have them if they are his, and I guess I'll be seeing you with some fish soon huh? Talk to you later! : )

-Tracy

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Happy Birthday Erik!

Kristi T. said...

We really wanted to come up to Sugarhouse park to celebrate Eriks life. However since both Terry and Erik shared the same birthday we ended up celebrating Terrys birthday on the lake. I am sorry to have missed such an event. I would have loved to be there. Keep smiling.

..::k.toms::.. said...

Emily,
You may not remember me but I remember you. I think it was maybe Jr High or HS that we had a class or 2 together.
Anyway. I came by your blog through another and I just had to comment.
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know there are no words to say to make you feel any better but I truly admire the strong person that you are and the beautiful way you write. Your boys are extremely lucky to have you as their mother. I know your husband is so very proud of the person that you are and he knows that you can handle life now w/ him in your memories. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Be so thankful for the support you have. Because you truly deserve it.
Kim (Skiles) Tomsick

Amander said...

Happy Birthday Erik!

I am sorry I missed the bbq. I tried to come, but things didn't work out the way I wanted them to.

I've never been to Wallaby's, but it has to be better than Taco Bell, right?

Unknown said...

Emily and boys - Wanted to let all of you know we are thinking of you daily and hope you are starting to have some peace.

I know Erik's passing will take forever to work through, but I know with your strength and support system it will happen.

We think of you daily, and we love you. Take care of yourself and those 2 sweet boys.

Love,
Aunt Gayle